This post was featured in the September 2012 Nonprofit Blog Carnival
Even in the age of social media, websites are still one of the first places people go to in order to get information. That’s why your nonprofit organization needs one that’s welcoming and audience-centered.
Does your website pass that test? Use the checklist below to find out.
- Is it free of clutter and easy to navigate and read?
- Does it include an engaging photo and a small amount of text, such as a tagline or position statement?
- If you are highlighting something such as an event, is the information up-to-date, and is it the most newsworthy item you can feature?
- Does it include a Donate Now button that’s prominent without being tacky?
- Does it include a newsletter sign up box and social media icons?
- Is the navigation bar easy to use?
- Does it include a search feature?
More information on creating a great home page.
- Is it easy to use?
- Does it include a strong call to action with the same messages as all your other fundraising appeals?
- Does it show how the donation will be used and what different amounts will fund?
- Does it include an option for recurring gifts?
- Does it have a compelling photo?
- After someone donates, does it take the person to a thank you landing page and generate a thank you email?
More information on creating a great donation page.
- Are they easy to read/scan and navigate?
- Do all of your pages have a consistent look?
- Is the content well written in a conversational style (no jargon), and is it free of grammatical errors and typos?
- Are your pages audience-centered? Remember that some visitors know you well and others don’t. A person visiting your volunteer page may not know much about your organization, so you will need to include a compelling description of what you do.
- Do your pages contain a clear call to action? For example, your volunteer page should make someone want to volunteer.
- Does each page have one or two photos related to its subject matter? Going back to your volunteer page, you could include a photo of volunteers engaging with clients.
- Is all the content up-to-date?
- Do all your links work?
- Do all your pages include a Donate Now button, navigation bar, social media icons, a newsletter sign up box, and a search feature, so your visitors don’t have to go back to the home page?
- Are you using analytics to see how often people visit your pages? If you have pages that aren’t generating a lot of interest, assess why that is happening. You may need to make the page more enticing or take it down.
- Is it mobile friendly?
- Is there other content you should include?
25 thoughts on “A Website Checklist”
Really super checklist Ann.Particularly important is the suggestion that you have someone who is an “outsider” take a look at your website. What's their impression of what you do and how you do it? How easy is it for them to find out what your mission is? Is it easy to donate? It's amazing how blind we can be to our own weaknesses.
Thank you, Claire!
The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post
Web development Company
Thanks for the information appreciated been reading for awhile, and just wanted to let you know I continue to enjoy your writing.
Essay Writing | Buy Essays Online | Cheap Essay Writing | Custom Essay Writing | Urgent Essay | College Essay Writing
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thanks for sharing actually this article is really useful for me keep sharing..!
Dissertation Writing Help || Dissertation Proofreading Services
I'd like to thanks for that initiatives you get on paper this short article. My spouse and i look forward to more of your amazing blogs. for more info click here super food
I'd like to thanks for that initiatives you get on paper this short article. My spouse and i look forward to more of your amazing blogs. for more info click here Dymo labels online
Thanks very much for sharing this interesting post. I am just starting up my own blog and this has given me inspiration to what I can achieve. Cheap Essays
This is an amazing post. I like this post very much and very informative post. All things are described in very beautiful way. Cheap Essay Writing
Thanks for sharing helpful information, I really like your all post. I will bookmark your blog for future updates. Paper Writing Services
Your style is really unique compared to others I've read the stuff. Thank you for posting when you have the chance, I would have you to bookmark this page.zanzibar honeymoons
Great idea I will follow your tips before built any site.escortsinmanchester.co.uk
How do I get full list of these websites? And how we can change on Minneapolis Internet Marketing
Good to know the list since I already saw one like this at Twin Cities Web Design.
Good to know these tips to make good updates for Faribault Web Design
Good post, keep up the good work.
Lovely piece of work thanks for shearing.
Awesome post this one realy helped me at my point of confusion 🙂 Realy thanx alot for sharing 🙂 Keep it up 😉
Billy Bishop Airport
Taxi to Billy Bishop Airport
What a great web blog . I like this blog because of its design and interface. It is user friendly and it is nice to visit the blog.
I just read the regularly one particular subject material. Beautiful articles or reviews, thank you to suit downloading and sharing an article content with all of us.
Well…great work! Great points covered in the entire post.
I am quite pleased with this site. There were some concepts by the author which were essential. I have stored your blog. Thanks for the useful period.
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
نقل عفش بجدة
شركه نقل اثاث بمكة
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
شركات عزل مائي
شركة مكافحة حشرات جدة
تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركات مكافحة الحشرات فى الرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف بالخرج